Visiting Places

Visiting places near Perambalur

 Ranjankudi Fort

pla

Ranjankudi  ( Lat. 11.21’ N. Long.78.57’ E. )  is  located  17 K.Ms.  North   of Perambalur. The Fort was built by a Jagirdar under Nawab of Carnatic in 17th century A.D. The Fort walls  are built with neatly cut stone blocks. There are three  fortification walls at different heights and the bottom most is the main rampart.  It  is oblong  on  plan with semi circular bastions and encircled by a moat  fed  by a  tank  on  the  Southern  side.  The fort  contains  a palace, residential buildings, underground chambers, mosque and flag mast. The  fort was   the  scene  of  the  battle  of   Valikondah  between  the  English  and Mohammad  Ali  on  one  side and Chanda Sahib and the French on the other side in 1751 AD. This fort is under protection of the Archaeological survey of India.

 

Sathanur Fossil Tree

 

place

Geological study shows that more than 120,000,000 years ago, the sea (which lies today about 100 Km. East of Sathanur) had transgressed as far as 8 to 10 Km West of Sathanur. During this period which is Geologically known as the cretaceous, the sea abounded in a variety of marine animals similar to those found in the present day sea. These animals, after death, sank to the bottom and were buried by sands and clays brought down by the rivers. Along with them some of the trees which flourished on the seacoast or near shore were also buried after transport by flooded streams and were petrified in course of time. The large trunk of petrified tree, which can be seen here, lies within the Trichinopoly group of rocks of about 100,000,000 years ago. This tree shows the presence of Conifers (The non flowering plants) that dominated the land vegetation prior to the advent of Angiosperms ( the flowering plants of the present of day.)

The petrified tree trunk at Sathanur measures over 18 meters in length. Similar fossil trees measuring a few meters in length are found along the stream sections near Varagur, Anaipadi, Alundalipur and Saradamangalam. Dr.M.S.Krishnan of the Geological Survey of India first reported this fossil tree in 1940.

 

ChettikulamThandayutha Pani Swami Temples

tem

 The Ancient Arulmigu Ekambareswar and Thandayutha Pani Swami Temples are situated in Chettikulam Village, Perambalur District. The above temples were built by King Kulasekara Pandian, some 500 years ago. These temples are situated 22 Kms. away from Perambalur and 8 Km west of Alathur gate in Tiruchi-Chennai National Highway (NH-45). These temples reflect the architecture of the early days.

In Arulmigu Ekambareswarar temple the Thai Poosam festival is celebrated every year in the month of January for 10 days. At the time of above festival, people from various places visit the temple and get the blessings of Lord Siva.

In the same way, Panguni Uthiram Festival is celebrated in Arulmigu Thandayuthapani temple for 14 days in the month of April every year. The above festival is celebrated in grand manner and various cultural programmes are conducted at that time.

The rock outside of Chettikulam Village on the top of which is located Balathandabani. It is an ancient and well-known shrine built by the Chola. There are number of stone inscriptions giving the history of the temple.

 Siruvachur Mathura Kaliaman temple

ten

 Siruvachur Mathura Kaliaman temple at Siruvachur in Perambalur taluk is one of the most popular shrine in the district. The presiding deity of the temple is known as Sri Mathura Kaliamman. She is one of the forms of Kali.

Poojas are performed on Monday and Friday of every week. The main annual festival commences on the last in Panguni. The Car festival is celebrated on the first in Chithirai.